European funds for reducing Freight Traffic: Marco Polo programme.
Deadline: 21st September 2012
Five main actions:
1) Modal shift actions, which focus on shifting as much freight as economically meaningful under current market conditions from road to short sea shipping, rail or/and inland waterways
2) Catalyst actions: change the way non-road freight transport is conducted in the European Union.
3) Motorways of the sea actions: offering an integrated service, which shifts freight from long road distances to a combination of short sea shipping and other modes of transport
4) Traffic avoidance actions integrate transport into production logistics integrating transport into production logistics: reducing freight transport demand by road with a direct impact on emissions
5) Common learning actions enhance knowledge in the freight transport and logistics sector and foster advanced methods and procedures of co-operation in the freight market, with an overall objective of promoting intermodal solutions aiming at achieving modal shift or traffic avoidance